Hitler capitalized on the prevailing socio-economic and political factors prevailing in post-war Germany to become one of history’s most influential dictator. The most fascinating thing is that Hitler gained power at least initially through democratic process when he became the chancellor of Germany in 1933 and later assumed the title of ‘Fuhrer'(The leader) and ruled the Third Reich(Nazi Germany) from 1934 till his death in 1945.
- Hitler’s extremist views: In 1924, Hitler gained popular support by attacking the Treaty of Versailles and promoting Pan-Germanism, anti-Semitism (Anti-Jews), and anti-communism with charismatic oratory skills and Nazi propaganda. Hitler frequently denounced international capitalism and communism as being part of a Jewish conspiracy.
- Mistreatment of Germany by Europeans: Hitler fed on the grievances of the German people following their disastrous defeat in World War I. Much of their territory was taken from them and they were required to pay huge sums to their victorious enemies. Enemies were more focused on punishing Germany for starting the war than on making sure that Germany became a peaceful and prosperous state.
- Nazi propaganda and Gestapo: Hitler was a dynamic speaker who tirelessly campaigned to rebuild a strong sense of German nationalism. Once he became Chancellor he used his Nazi party thugs to intimidate his political opponents and used Gestapo(state secret police) for spying and assinations.
- Economic turnaround: He also improved the economy of Germany fast by many reforms and controlled the inflation and unemployment. He also expanded the German military in violation of treaties, which provided jobs and allowed him to begin threatening his neighbors to regain the lost territories like the mineral rich Sudetenland and re-militarised Rhine valley.
- Appeasement policy of the Allied powers: mostly Britain and France toward Hitler also gave him vast power. They have seen him as a shield to rising power of Communism and Russia. Britain was having financial problems at home and the Labor govt. wanted to focus on the market improvement rather than Armament. So it also ignored the rising power of Hitler.