Spanish civil war happened just before the start of WW2, from 1936 to 1939. It was fought between the Republicans, who were loyal to the democratic, left-leaning Second Spanish Republic, and the Nationalists, a falangist(a form of fascism) group led by General Francisco Franco who ruled Spain from 1930 to 1975 as its dictator.
Hitler capitalized on the prevailing socio-economic and political factors prevailing in post-war Germany to become one of history’s most influential dictator. The most fascinating thing is that Hitler gained power at least initially through democratic process when he became the chancellor of Germany in 1933 and later assumed the title of ‘Fuhrer'(The leader) and ruled the Third Reich(Nazi Germany) from 1934 till his death in 1945.
Japan found itself on the wrong side of history during WW2 when it allied with Axis powers and invaded many countries of East Asia.
There reasons show how the Great depression led to WW2:
India and World War 1
WW1’s significance for India
- The world war ended the myth of invincibility of British Empire in India as the British faced many humiliating defeats during the war
- The soldiers that returned after war raised the morale of masses.
- India supported Britain in world war on its promise of fighting for democracy but serving Indian with Rowlat act immediately after war shattered Indians. This led to the rise of national consciousness and soon Non Cooperation movement was launched.
- Formation of USSR also led to the rise of communism in India with the formation of CPI and imparted a socialist tinge to freedom struggle.
What were reasons the United States entered World War I?
1. Unrestricted submarine warfare:
- sinking of the ship Lusitania (1915) in which many passengers died
- The “Sussex” pledge (1916)-a promise made by Germany to not harm US’s ships but it was broken in 1917
- Germany renews unrestricted U Boat attacks (1917)